Sunday, July 4, 2010

MAC OS cmd + tab not working!!!

Its 1:41 am and although tomorrow I will be working from home,its pretty late.As I was about to hit the sack, I found some issue which I may need to take care of tomorrow(actually, today as it is already past midnight).So other than taking some early measures for that I see that my Mac is not working, specifically cmd + tab is not working along with the supercool Dock and as most Mac users would agree with me, without this you feel kind of strange(non-productive).
A simple solution exists- just restart the system and most proabably it would start working.But as many fellow engineers know,restarting the system is just not-the-thing we look forward to.

So after some soul searching , I tried the following few simple tricks:

1. Somehow open a Finder window ( cmd + m ).
2. Then search for Terminal.app in Applications.
3. Start Terminal
* do "ps -eaf | grep -i Dock"
* then kill the process for Dock
* in my machine it looked like: /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock -psn_0_45067
4. The Dock would restart automatically ( as probably it is some kind of service driven thing) and tadaaa- cmd+tab also starts functioning.

Goodnight :)

2 comments:

Sayan said...

I would have simply restarted the computer :)

benatard9 said...

thank you very much... you'd think apple's OS would be a little more bullet proof to core-process hangups... very irritating